I started this quilt top in March of 2012, after seeing others Granny Square quilts based on this pattern. I used the revision posted here to make them with less waste on the ends. I cut out many sets of squares from my batik collection and pinned them together in sets. Then I sewed these squares as leader-enders while working on a few quilts (one, two, and more). There was no rush for this quilt since it was for us and our guest room with a twin bed.
After the new year, I took all my squares and pieced them together as a top and began the process of hand quilting. I chose to do a simple concentric square design, which is best seen from the back. I used wool batting for the first time. I washed it very gently, on a short cycle with warm cold and low spin and tumbled dried it for just 15 minutes in low heat,following the directions on the batting package. Now it’s laying out to dry the rest of the way. I do enjoy the loft and feel the wool has.
I had about one third of the quilt done, when I took on finishing Kathy’s Quilt. So again the project got set aside. Once I finished that project I returned to quilting and just finished last weekend.
This is the first truly scrappy quilt I’ve done, and I think I like it better when I control the palate of fabrics used. I also think it’s hard to capture the colors of the fabric with the camera. Even so, I’m happy with this finish and enjoy seeing the bright colors on our guest bed. It measures 64″ by 96″.