Blue Irish Chain

Irish Chain 2
This blue & white Irish Chain quilt was a wedding gift. The large white spaces gave a great place for some detailed hand-quilting, so I filled them with the pattern called “Lover’s Knot”
lover's knot
detail irish chain
The stripe of white along the back lines up well with the rows on the front so that one row of the lovers knots are shown in the white on the back.
Irish Chain back
lover's knot on back
This is the first quilt I’ve done with multiple borders and I like the way the two blue and two white borders frame the quilt.
quilt on couch
However, I wasn’t sure what I’d do on the corners for quilting. My husband found some inspiration for me on the cover of his bible.
bible knot
corner
The quilt is lap sized, 60 inches by 70 inches.
Irish Chain
Linking up to Finish it Up Friday, and Link a Finish Friday.

This entry was posted in 2013, quilts, sewing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Blue Irish Chain

1. Shanna says:

What a sweet little finish, I especially like the stitches, very nicely done!

2. Bobbi says:

The quilt is beautiful from a distance. Then I scrolled down and saw the quilting, which is positively breathtaking. And the way you quilted the corners is brilliant. Such a beautiful gift.

3. Nancy says:

Your hand-quilting is exquisite. What a lot of detail. And, of course, the quilt itself is beautiful. I like the borders, too. I’m sure the recipients will be (were) thrilled with the quilt!

4. Love Irish Chain quilts. Yours is so pretty done up in blue. The Lover’s Knot handquilting is wonderful and you did such a good job with it!

That one turned out lovely. Are you getting faster or is it just my imagination? That one seems to have required a lot of quilting but I feel that you did it in record time.

Everyone, thanks for all the compliments, I’m very pleased with how it came out and the recipients really liked it too. I got to watch the bride open it which is always fun.

Mom, this one went faster because of the deadline, and lots of Harry Potter books on tape to listen to while quilting by the fire. Winter is a good time for working on quilts :)

6. Lynette says:

Oh, how pretty! And hand quilted!! What a nice wedding gift to be a cherished heirloom. The borders are perfect, and I love the corner-quilting inspiration. It’s so gorgeous out in the snow, too.

7. Kathy S. says:

This quilt is GORGEOUS! Love all the love knots and details. What a great quilt for a wedding present! Congrats on your finish.

8. Carrie P. says:

Your quilt is just beautiful. I love your quilting designs too.