A long-awaited finish

11 year quilting @ greensandjeans
Today I have a very big finish to share. It’s big for two reasons. For one, it’s the biggest quilt I’ve made, measuring 86″ across and 110″ long. The real reason it’s a big finish is that it’s been over 11 years since I started this quilt in the fall of 2001, and now it’s finally finished!

When I started quilting I wanted to make a quilt for my bed, which was a Full Size. Of course starting with such a large project makes it hard to sustain and makes it easy to put aside. This project was slowed by the fact that I began by hand stitching the pieces together for the blocks.
hand stitched block
I did finish hand-piecing a number of the blocks (I wish I’d counted before I basted the quilt). When I got a sewing machine, I slowly pieced more of them together, until I had 18 star blocks. In the fall of 2011, I sketched out a plan and began keeping an eye out for sashing fabric.  In February 2012, I decided to pull them out, buy some fabric for sashing and put them all together before I started other projects.

I got the quilt top finished in February 2012,

11 year  quilt on snow@ greensandjeans

and by mid-March had a backing and began hand-quilting.
quilting @ greensandjeans.com
I got a few blocks done in the spring, but other quilts (this one, this one and this one) took precedence.  In addition it was so large, that I didn’t want it on the couch all summer while I worked on it.

This Fall I was able to get back to it some between working on Christmas presents. Then while we traveled for the holidays, this quilt came along. It was a little large to travel with, but I managed just the same.11 year quilt @ greensandjeansBy the time we came home I was almost finished quilting. And within the first seven days of January, I’d finished quilting the border, attached the binding and sewing it on the back.

11 year quilt @ greensandjeansI love how the quilting shows up on the back.
quilting detail @ greensandjeansI did  a feathered pattern in the center of each square, and used a larger version of the same design in the setting triangles

square detail @ greensandjeans

triangle detail @ greensandjeansThe quilt is so long that we will be able to tuck it under the mattress and still have it cover the pillows each morning!

I’m very pleased with my first finish of 2013, and the finishing of my first (and yet not my first) quilt!

Linking up to Finish it Up Friday and Link a Finish Friday.

This entry was posted in 2013, quilts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to A long-awaited finish

I must admit that when you first pieced it together I didn’t care for the color combination but with all the quilting it is one gorgeous quilt. I hope you signed it with the years it took to make.

2. Susan says:

Wow. That’s an awesome finish. Good for you for sticking with it, and for hand quilting it. What a lovely, heirloom thing to have.

3. I can’t imagine hand quilting such a large quilt so hats off to you and congratulations on a great finish!

4. Frances says:

Well done with sticking with the hand quilting – you love’ll sleeping with it.

5. Tara says:

Wow, you did some beautiful work on the hand quilting! That must have taken you quite a few hours! I’m not sure I would have had the patience for so much intricate work. Your stitches are lovely.

6. Katie Z says:

Beautiful quilting!

7. Lynette says:

Hey, cool! I like the fabric you found for the sashing – very nice with the block. The back piecing is super fun. And CONGRATS on a long-term finish. 😀

8. Laura says:

Congratulations on your finish! I know it feels good to get it done.

9. Donna says:

I LOVE your quilt and those are my colors. In fact, I have that exact dark purple fabric. It was a bit pricey but I love it and have used it in a lot of my projects.

You did a fabulous job with your hand quilting.

10. Shauna says:

Beautiful quilt – both the colours and the quilting. You did a fantastic job on your hand stitching. Such patience you must have! Great finish!

11. That is a fantastic quilt. I have machine quilted every thing I have ever done. I admire the effort involved in hand quilting and really enjoy the way it looks. Congrats for not leting the project sit around any longer and getting it done. Also thanks for linking up on my blog.

12. Sarah Craig says:

What a gorgeous quilt, Emily! It’s fun to get an old one finished, isn’t it? Whoop whoop!!

13. Good things take time! It looks fantastic and you have put a lot of work into it! I have been lucky to have had a sewing machine since I was 21 so I can’t imagine trying to do such a big quilt by hand. Well done!

14. What. A. Beautiful. Job!
    The first big quilt I made was a decade-long project, too – Mostly because I machine-pieced it, but then decided to hand-quilt it, and I got bogged down in the hand-quilting. It’s finished now, and I love it! Those forever-long projects are that much more worth it when they’re done! Great work!

15. Joy says:

Looks amazing! All that hand quilting! You must have lots more patience than I do. Must feel wonderful to have it finally finished and on the bed. I love the darker sashing, it really makes it pop.

16. Amy G says:

Impressive job with the hand stitching! It’s beautiful. I have never made a quilt, though I have thought about it over the years, but I don’t think I have the patience for that much hand work.

17. Karen says:

it’s great- I bet you are very glad to have it finished!!

18. Bonnie says:

Emily, you are really an artist! The colors, the placement and the gorgeous stitching–that quilt is priceless.

19. Kathi says:

Love your quilt… the quilting is just stupendous and how exciting to finish your first quilt and then sleep under it! Love that :) Thanks for sharing your quilt and for being a part of the hop! Love your style of quilting a lot… Handquilting is my fave part of making a quilt!