The week of wet rain has made us realize that the house-painting season is at an end. So we’re calling it a year with 4 of our 8 sides painted. Thankfully all 3 of the sides that face the road are done. We are the only ones who will have to stare at our unfinished project this winter.
That meant today I had time to work on garden clean up. Thankfully, we haven’t had a killing frost yet. A few weeks ago when I dug my potatoes, I cleaned up the second row of the garden and seeding winter rye. The winter rye has sprouted, and the fresh dirt behind is where I planted garlic today.
The row that grew onions was seeded with fall crops when I harvested onions in August and now has the cold frame. We’ve yet to get the windows on, but the lettuce, kale, mizuna, spinach, claytonia, mache & tatsoi are doing well.
I pulled two rows where squashes had died back and weeded both rows. One row is where garlic was planned to go. I wondered if it was too early, but then consulted by records and found I was right on with last year‘s schedule.
So here’s the seed garlic from the 4 largest heads of music and 6 largest heads of red russian. I planted 24 cloves of music and 42 heads of red russian. The rest of the rows was seeded with winter rye.
Planting garlic always feels like the beginning of the next garden to me. It’s at this point that I make a new spreadsheet to track where things will be planted and how I’ve amended the beds. So the 2013 gardens begun. The 2012 garden is drawing to a close. Four garden rows down, only 7 more to clean up.