Just after I finished the Batik Dresden Plate quilt this spring I read about the EZ Dresden Challenge sponsored by the Salt Lake City Modern Quilt Guild. Now that the entry period for quilts has begun, I’m re-posting this quilt to enter it in the competition. (Original post can be found here).
This quilt is made up of 9 traditional dresden plates. However, I wanted to create more movement in the quilt than the traditional layout of plates in a grid. So as I cut the petals, I used the EZ Dresden ruler to make them in a variety of sizes and laid them out in a more organic fashion.
The dresden plates are made with 11 different batik fabrics. I used the batting to lay them out and get the design just right.
I machine appliqued the plates onto the ivory background fabric. Then I hand-quilted around the center circle and through every-other petal in the dresden plates. For the background I wanted an overall pattern that would create a texture and movement. I choose the traditional baptist fan pattern and hand quilted it over the entire background.
The binding is a chocolate brown print that is the same as the center of the dresden plates. The backing is a green fern print, one of the prints used in the petals.