Now that the gift has been given, I can finally show you this quilt I finished earlier this month. At Christmas time I asked the sisters of the bride, what colors she and her fiance liked. They told be that browns and greens would be good colors.
I decided that I liked the idea of Dresden plates in a variety of sizes. I tried it out on a wall hanging to make sure it would work, and then went shopping for enough greens and browns to make the Dresden plates. I knew I wanted at least 10 different colors. I actually waited at the fabric store for a delivery to be un-packed so I could pick through and find this set of fabrics that would work together.
I laid them out on the batting to provide a sense of how I would arrange them.
Then I divided up the space and cut pieces of the ivory solid to fit the spaces. I machine appliqued the Dresden plates on the pieces.
And finally the pieces came together as a whole quilt top.
I knew I wanted to hand quilt it, and I learned on the two wall hangings that it more difficult to quilt through the plate and points because of the extra thickness of fabric. So I cut out the extra ivory fabric behind the Dresden plates to make it easier to hand quilt.
I chose the Baptist fan pattern for the solid section because I wanted to reference the round shapes of the Dresdens and choose a pattern that I could free-hand, rather than trace over the entire quilt top. I outlined the Dresden plates, and quilted through every other petal.
Unlike the tutorial I read, I started at one edge on the bottom right and quilted fans across. Then I moved back to the bottom right, and did another row above. A good friend suggested this so that I wouldn’t end with something odd in the middle.