Emptying the Freezer into Jam

Tuesday morning I noticed a oily puddle under the chest freezer.  This freezer came free with the house and all signs point to it having reached the end of it’s life.   This gave me the impetus to clean out both freezers.  It was on the mental to-do list, but not scheduled for this week.  Oh well!   Many old things were composted or trashed.  Then out came the items that I store in the freezer, but are not dependent on freezing for their quality; extra spices, vitamins, coffee, granola.

Then everything I wanted to save had to go into the kitchen freezer.   There wasn’t room for it all, so it’s inspired some eating of some items and it also inspired some canning. I made a mixed berry jam. There isn’t really are recipe, just what worked out for what I had.

I thawed 3 quarts of strawberries, 3 cups of raspberries, and about 2 cups of currants.

I cooked the currants separately until they boiled and burst, then strained the liquids and some solids into the pot with the other berries.  I had about 11 cups of fruit, and I added 9 cups of sugar.

After the sugar dissolved, I pureed it with an immersion blender.

I cooked it to the jell point, and canned 1o half-pint jars of jam for 10 minutes, with another 3/4ths a pint in the fridge.

The new freezer will come next week and we’ll have an organized freezer for the beginning of the growing and preserving season. For now, open the kitchen freezer at your own risk!

This post is part of Robin’s Thursday Kitchen Cupboard.

This entry was posted in currants, Eating the Harvest, Food & Recipes, raspberries, strawberries and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Emptying the Freezer into Jam

It’s a good thing you noticed that puddle! The jam looks great! I think you did a great job stuffing everything into your kitchen freezer.

It will be great to have a new organized freezer for the beginning of the season!

I have to clean out my freezer. I usually do it every spring in preparation for the upcoming season. And spring is at the low point of the freezer as I try to stock enough meats and such to get us through until the farmers markets open in June. Sometime in the next month I’ll have to do this chore. Your jam looks delicious.

My freezer is just about ready for me to do the annual cleaning it out. My freezer has been with us for about twenty years now and seems to still be going strong. I worry it will go out on me just at the wrong moment, but so far it has been a reliable appliance – well worth it’s initial purchase price all those years ago.

So did you try the jelly? Was it good? May we have a jar? Send it home with Sarah next weekend if yes!

5. Jody says:

Your freezer looks well packed. I bet you can’t wait for the new one. We’re always fighting for freezer space here too.

6. Dave says:

It is good you caught that freezer in time. I had one go out once and I didn’t catch it in time and lost everything in it. That mixed berry jam sounds great!

7. Norma Chang says:

How observant, I probably would not make the connection until it way too late. Your jams look delicious, lovely color too.