Every quilt starts with an idea, a vision of how it will turn out. Some stay close to that vision, others have to change course along the way. This quilt was one that changed course quite a bit.
Originally I had planned a semi-random assortment of these blocks, scattering cars, trains & planes throughout the quilt, paired with different colored solids. I have the transportation fabric in two color themes and was using both. Here’s how my excel plan looked.
However once I made the blocks and laid them out, I was overwhelmed by how busy the quilt was. So change was in order. I took out half the blocks with the opposite colored fabric, re-arranged multiple times, and finally settled on rows with one type of transportation. I had to make a few more blocks to fill out my new pattern.
I learned a couple of important lessons. 1) Children’s print fabric is big print and it’s better to cut it into big pieces so you can see the print. 2) It’s also busy fabric, so it’s important to keep a structure to the quilt. 3) It’s best to change only one variable at a time in a quilt. I was trying to change shape, color, & fabric and it made impossible to see any theme or connection. 4) If you slice up a certain sized block, trade fabrics & sew it together, you get a smaller block
One I had a layout I liked, I had a lot of fun with the quilting. Some of the car blocks have cars, others have roads.
Some of the train blocks have tracks, others have engines.
Some of the plane blocks have planes,
The back of the quilt is this fun print of pick-up trucks with dogs.
This quilt measures 32″ by 48″ and was given to some good friends who are expecting a baby boy later this month.
Also, thanks to my favorite red-head for holding another quilt for photos, and this one twice, since the first set weren’t satisfactory.
This post is linked to Finish it Up Friday