I enjoyed making a single dresden plate as a mini-quilt and wanted to make a larger quilt with them, but wasn’t excited by the layouts I saw 12 dresdens in a 3 X 4 design with sashing between. So it was my idea to change things up by making them a variety of sizes. I was planning a lap quilt but before I made it, I wanted to test out how a variety of sizes would look together.
This wall quilt was born as a sample for a larger project. I’m very glad I made it because I found that no matter what size I make the blades/spokes/petals, the circle stayed the same size. I had imagined that it would shrink proportionally. So I found that the dresden plates I made with 1 1/2″ petals, were too out of proportion with the others. I did modify the center size somewhat on this quilt, but when I do a large version, I’ll keep them all the same. I used scraps from my stash in yellow and green for the twenty different petals for each dresden plate.
Another thing that I changed from the traditional dresden plate, is I kept the colors grouped, with one quarter yellow, and then three quarters green arranged by value.
I ended up with three dresden plates and decided to put them on a Kona coal gray background. I hand quilted with a yellow cotton three times around each plate. I tied french knots inside the circle.
This left some wide empty areas. I wanted quilting there, but I didn’t want it to distract from the yellow around the plates. So I extended the lines from the largest plate in a gray cotton that matches the background.
I bound it with a green dot print, left over from my Window Stripes Quilt.
This post is linked to Finish it Up Friday & is my entry for the