Last summer the local fire-auxiliary made a blue and white quilt for a raffle. I helped bind the quilt at our local quilters meeting and was really struck by one of the squares which was called a Dresden plate.
Later in a local fabric store, I saw a plexi tool for making the Dresden plate points, and so I bought it. The tool isn’t necessary but want is nice is that it allows you to make the Dresden plate in a variety of sizes.
To experiment with the new tool, I made one large Dresden Plate with scraps of batiks I had from this quilt and this quilt. I arranged them in a chromatic scale.
I hand-appliqued them on, and then hand quilted through the center of each wedge and echoed the outside shape in the white area. I bound the square in kona coal gray.
Since we moved our furniture, there was a nice empty space on the wall above the couch. The mini quilt is 22″ square.
Now I’m trying to decide if I want to make a quilt with just Dresden plates in rows, or mix it up a bit and make one with different size Dresden Plates. Another wall hanging may result as I play around with possible lay outs in a smaller scale.