Harvest Monday 12/19/11

This week brought what will most likely be the last harvests of the year. If you’ve read my past few harvest posts, I’m sure you can guess what it was.

Brussels Sprouts! Here’s bowl full from earlier in the week.

Last year we found that the kept for a few weeks on the stem in a humid cool environment. Sprouts left outside in the elements until January did not hold up, turning mushy and brown inside.

So this his weekend while the ground was temporarily thawed, I pulled the remaining 5 plants. We’ll take the sprouts of some of these for holiday meals with family. The other stalks will stay with soil on their roots in the damp basement to be enjoyed next month. However when they are weighed, they’ll get added to our 2011 total.

Harvest this week: 2 lbs 7 oz
Harvest total for 2011: 402 lbs!

Eggs this week: 24
Eggs this year: 249

See how other gardener’s are wrapping up the year’s harvest at Daphne’s Dandelions.

This entry was posted in brussels sprouts, harvest. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Harvest Monday 12/19/11

Does this mean you’re bringing some to us?

Beautiful bucket of sprout plants! I just love them but don’t always grow them because of the space they use. I squeeze them in every so often though because they are so tasty.

3. Barbie says:

Nice! I hope they hold up well for you in storage. You are about a hundred pounds over my weight for the year. :-)

4. Oh, wow, what a lot of Brussels sprouts. I love stalks of Brussels sprouts in the snow. The first garden that I had with my husband was in 1975 in Connecticut. We inherited a garden when we moved in in December, and it had Brussels sprouts in the snow. We were amazed that there were vegetables out in the freezing cold, but they were delicious. I’m trying to grow them this year. So far the plants are healthy, but no sprouts yet. Too soon here in southern California, given when I planted them. We’ll have spring sprouts with luck.

5. Great tip about brussel sprouts. I’m going to use it. I haven’t grown them this year though they are on my seed-need list for this year.

6. Norma Chang says:

That quite a harvest of Brussels sprouts. They are so delicately sweet this time of year. Thanks for the storage tip, must remember for next year.

7. Forsythkid says:

i’ve never had any good luck growing these and it’s too bad as I love to eat them even though they cost an arm and a leg at the store.

Those sprouts look beautiful. I rarely eat them now, but they were a favorite as a kid. The only reason I don’t eat them much now is that I haven’t grown them. I really ought to try them some year.