Harvest Monday 12/5/11

This past week I finally harvested the rest of the carrots and leeks that were in the ground. I’d been aided in my procrastination by the unseasonably warm November temperatures. Normally I should have harvested them much sooner.

I didn’t weigh the leeks until I’d drastically trimmed them down, so the yield was just over 2 lbs. Now that I think of it, I should have done the initial trimming outside. There would have been much less dirt in my sink. Most of them were chopped and frozen.

The carrots had some carrot fly damaged and so most were chopped and frozen. I probably should have blanched them but I didn’t.

Also harvested this week: lettuce(from the cold frame), kale, & more brussels sprouts.

The total harvest this week was almost 6 lbs.
This brings my harvest total to 399.46 lbs. I know that there are a couple more pounds of brussels sprouts out in the garden to enjoy this month so we’ll break the 400 lb mark before the end of the month.

Eggs this week: 23
November Eggs: 85
Eggs this year: 200

See how other gardeners are drawing their season to a close at Daphne’s Dandelions.

This entry was posted in brussels sprouts, carrots, cold frame, eggs, greens, harvest, kale, leeks, lettuce. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Harvest Monday 12/5/11

1. Dave says:

That’s a nice haul of leeks and Brussels Sprouts. And it looks like the hens are keeping busy as well.

Oh those brussels sprouts. You are going to kill me with those. I wasn’t going to try again next year but I just have to.

I always do my initial leek cleaning outside…..I learned my lesson by doing it inside once! Boy you are the Queen of Brussels Sprouts for sure!

4. Mary Hysong says:

oooh Brussels Sprouts! I haven’t managed them here yet; something always happens to them….You have a really nice lot of them there. Love all those leeks! Definitely on my list for next year~

Will you have any B. Sprouts to bring at Christmas?

Yes, there are still quite a few stalks out there. We found last year that the ones left in the ground after Christmas were not any good, so we’ll harvest all that’s left before we come down for Christmas. We’ll leave some in the basement and bring others along.

6. Norma Chang says:

Yep, I learned my lesson about cleaning root vegetables in the kitchen sink also, sure was a mess. Which variety of Brussel sprouts did you plant?

Norma,

I planted the Gustus variety of Brussels Sprouts from Fedco. Just got their 2012 catalog in the mail today. Now it’s time to explore new vegetables for next year.

Emily

7. Great harvest! I just might have to try growing brussels sprouts next year, they look amazing!

I adore brussel sprouts but only grow them occassionally as they are a bit of a space hog for the amount produced. Those look absolutely delicious.

9. Looks so good! Sorry your carrots had some damage.

Lynn

10. leduesorelle says:

Nice haul of carrots and leeks! . All this warm weather’s thrown our season extension plans a little off kilter, but we’ve left a bunch in the ground to see how they fare under cover…