Harvest Monday 11/14

The time change has made it more difficult to take harvest photos. Now when I pick something at dinner time, I’m doing it with a headlamp in the dark. I picked leeks, carrots & kale this week that wasn’t photographed.

I did harvest salad greens from the cold frame in the early afternoon one day this week along with three small heads of cabbage. The sunny mild temps have made the greens grow nicely in the cold frames. I didn’t expect to harvest from these until spring.

Our egg laying is up again this week now that all 4 chickens are laying. We don’t get 4 eggs every day, but we are getting plenty!

Eggs this week: 22
Eggs this year: 143

Harvest this week: 2 lbs
Harvest this year: 391 lbs (Will I make it to 400 lbs?)

See how other gardeners continue to harvest at Daphne’s Dandelions.

This entry was posted in carrots, cold frame, eggs, harvest, kale, leeks, winter greens. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Harvest Monday 11/14

1. I totally feel ya on the harvesting with a headlamp!

2. Mary Hysong says:

We don’t do daylight savings time but about the time everyone changes back I suddenly notice how it is completely dark at 5:30, really throws me off. I know it happens gradually and not overnight but still it comes as a surprise and a shock. And I certainly believe you will top your goal of 400 pounds for the year!

3. Norma Chang says:

Sure wish I had some those fresh eggs.

4. mac says:

The cabbages look good, my red cabbage is not doing anything, I think I started it too late and it doesn’t have enough time to head up.

5. Dave says:

That is a lot of eggs! We eat maybe that many a month. Sounds like the girls are doing a great job.

Dave,
      We’ve changed our eating habits to enjoy more eggs for breakfast. Even so, I have 2 short of two dozen in the fridge. We’ll be taking some to my parents at Thanksgiving for them to enjoy.

6. Nice harvest, especially for this time of year in your northern locale. I hope you make it to 400!

7. I wish you LUCK on your 400lb goal! I’m sure you’ll reach it!!! I’m still shooting for 200 lbs! :-)

I detest going back to standard time, it is depressing to come home in the dark and try and do anything other than harvest things you already checked out with the assistance of daylight previously is next to impossible. Can you tell I am not a winter person?! LOL!

The lettuces and cabbages are really nice looking. That is a nice mix on both of them.

I so dislike the short amount of daylight! Hopefully the mild temps will continue and the cold frame crops will continue to produce.

Everything looks great! It sounds like your girls are doing well.

I so wish my cabbage hadn’t died. I was hoping to store the head for winter. They keep so long. Maybe next year.

Glad to hear your egg production is increasing. I also hear you are now freezing some. I just started doing that with eggs when I can get them on sale. How do you freeze yours?

12. Love your harvest! I wish I had some greens right now. Those cabbages look like they would be a great size for a family meal. :)

~Lynn