Cider Jelly

Last month I made a double- batch of cider jelly.  The recipe comes from a book called Preserves.  As I wrote when I shared another recipe from this book, I like the inspiration, but the yields are listed in pounds which is very unhelpful. I also process the jars in a boiling water bath, instead of leaving them to seal on the counter as it recommends.

So here’s the recipe with my modifications.

Cider Jelly

Print This Print This
One batch yields 6 half-pint jelly jars.

Ingredients:
2 pounds tart apples
4 cups cider
juice and seeds of 2 oranges
1 cinnamon stick
6 whole cloves
4 to 5 cups of sugar

Directions:
Wash apples and roughly chop with sinks and cores intact. Add to large pot with cider, orange juice, cinnamon, & cloves. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer covered for about 1 hour until apples are broken up.

Let cool and then pour into a jelly bag to drain for a few hours.

Measure juice and for every cup of juice add just less than 1 cup sugar.

Heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil, and cook to jellying point.

Spoon into sterilized half-pint jars with 1/4 head space and process for 5 minutes in boiling water bath.

This post is linked to Thursday’s Kitchen Cupboards.

This entry was posted in apples, canning, Fruit, recipes and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Cider Jelly

Oh boy, another great jelly recipe! I make a Dutch Apple Pie jam which everyone loves. This jelly sounds just as good without adding pectin. Thanks for sharing!

2. GrafixMuse says:

Cider Jelly would be a hit in this household. Thanks for sharing your modified recipe.

I can attest that it’s a delicious jelly. I hope to get another jar of it (hint, hint!).

Sounds great. I have never made jelly without pectin. My biggest problem is I am trying to make reduce sugar recipes and I don’t like the results with the pectin you buy for that. It tastes good but seems to get a funny color after canning. Has anyone made jelly and jam using half sugar and half a sugar substitute like splenda?

• Wilderness says:

Might add how do you know when it is to the gel point?

Wilderness,

I haven’t experimented with low sugar recipes. I’ve read that pectin and sugar interact to create the jelling.

As far as knowing when the jell point is, there are 2 ways I test. First is when I dip a metal spoon into the jam or jelly and hold it over the pan. The jell point is close when instead of than one drop coming off the spoon, two drops develop and merge together before falling. The other way is to set a couple saucer in the freezer before you begin. When the spoon test is telling you you are close, put some on a saucer and put it back in the freezer. When it’s cooled a bit, if you run your finger through and it creates a skin and the two sides don’t run back together, than you have a jell. I’ve found that I need both tests and even so, sometimes I end up with a very firm set (almost too firm) and sometimes I err on the side of too soft.
        Hope this helps.
        Emily

You know, I think I have all the ingredients for this currently on hand! I may have to make a batch of this as it sounds like it is delicious and it sure makes for a pretty jar of jelly.

6. shaheen says:

This is great. I made loads of apple jelly last year, even one infused with chilli, but I am bookmarking this one for next year.

7. Prairie Cat says:

What a pretty color! Why did you choose to use a hot water bath even though the recipe did not call for it? Did you just want to ensure a good seal on your jars?

Prairie Cat,

The book was published in the UK where canning guidelines are different. The USDA recommends boiling water bath for all jams and jellys for at least 5 minutes. So I always use the hot water bath even if the recipe comes from another source that just recommends allowing the heat of the jelly to seal the jars.

8. Liz says:

This sounds fabulous! I love the colour as well. I will definitely give this a go in the Autumn when apples are plentiful. I have just discovered a friend of mine has a tree but never uses them….a nice friend to have!