Harvest Monday 10/31/11

Most of the harvests this week were greens.
Some chard and sorrel,

Some kale

And a basket of odds and ends before we got more snow on Saturday. We got 5 to 6 inches. Chard, carrots, a few beets, greens & raspberries. This includes a head of sugar loaf chicory and two heads of radicchio, the first harvest of both of these. Any recipe recommendations?

I also harvested some leeks. We have many more out in the garden and I have to decide when to harvest them all before the ground freezes and how to preserve them. How do you keep your leeks?

The chickens are not excited by the grey and colder weather we’ve been having. Egg production has slowed, especially for Rosemary, my Easter Egger.

At the beginning of the week we had our first full dozen eggs in the refrigerator. So I took a photograph of the beautiful eggs.

We’ve used all of them now, but have almost another dozen on hand.

Eggs this week: 14
Eggs this year: 103

Harvest this week: 2.78 lbs
Harvest this year: 385.88 lbs

See how other gardener’s fared with the snow at Daphne’s Dandelions.

This entry was posted in beets, carrots, Chickens, greens, harvest, kale, leeks, raspberries, swiss chard. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Harvest Monday 10/31/11

Those eggs look so beautiful!

Never heard of the chicory except for coffee.

We got a heavy frost last night – our first.

Those greens look good! We are getting a few raspberries sporadically from our raspberry patch too. I never manage to get them weighed or in a picture because we just eat them right there in the garden! So good. 😀

Nice looking greens. I don’t grow greens as DB doesn’t eat them and I need the room for things that both of us will eat.

4. Norma Chang says:

I tried growing radicchio some years ago but it never formed heads, will try again next year.
    How many chickens do you have? Does each chicken produce a different color egg?

Norma,
      We have 4 chickens. 3 are currently laying. One lays green eggs, the other two lay brown but there is a difference in the color. It’s quite nice that we’re able to tell which chicken laid the egg.

5. OH!!! Congratulations on your first full dozen of eggs!!! I remember how exciting (and fulfilling) that was for us! Great harvests this week!

6. Barbie says:

Beautiful eggs. I would SO love a couple hens. *sigh*
    Oh- and nice greens, too! 😉

7. GrafixMuse says:

I love the color variations of the eggs, they make a pretty picture. So many beautiful greens as well. I am already missing fresh greens. I sliced up my leeks and froze them. Then you can scoop out whatever is needed for soups, stews, etc.

8. Debbie in MS says:

Your eggs are wonderful!! We had chickens when I was growing up. I miss having chickens.

What beautiful eggs!! Once all four are laying, you’ll have so many eggs you won’t know what to do with them!

I have to say that I am green with envy over those greens :)

10. Julie says:

Beautiful eggs! Love the colors! And the greens look yummy too. I’ve never grown chicory or radicchio, but they look intriguing.

11. leduesorelle says:

Gorgeous greens — radicchio’s on our list for next year, and thanks for the introduction to the Sugarloaf Chicory! Sounds like a perfect thing to grow in our climate…

12. Dan says:

Great harvest, the eggs look great too!

13. Really sorry about the snow… We had a very early winter last year, but until now hardly frost and I am so, so pleased!

How many hens do you have? I am longing for some…

Take care,
    Charlotta

Those are very lovely eggs. I’m sad that my farmers market is closed for the season. Now I can’t get fresh eggs.

15. Mary Hysong says:

No chickens are very much fair weather foul! About the only thing that looks sorrier than a wet hen is a wet cat. Your eggs are beautiful; makes me miss my biddies; dogs got them all; maybe I will have a dog proof set up next years. I found you through Daphne’s Dandelions

16. Diana says:

Wow fresh eggs!Lovely greens. Your kale look like the red russian kale variety, how do you usually enjoy them?

Diana,

We have 3 varieties of Kale but the red-russian grows the biggest. We toss it in soups, saute it and put it in quiche, add it to pasta or lentil dishes. We use it anywhere we need a cooked green.