Raspberry Pepper Jam 2.0

*Note I’m re-posting this today to take part in Robin’s Thursday’s Kitchen Cupboard. Find out how others are preserving and using their harvest at her site. Thanks for hosting it Robin!*

It’s been a few years since I’ve made Raspberry Pepper Jam. At first it was because we still had some on hand, but then the last two years we didn’t pick enough raspberries to be able to make it.

In July I picked raspberries and froze them since the jalapenos weren’t ready yet. Now the peppers have reached their end, so it was time to finally make the jam.

I love the contrast of colors when the pepper puree is put on top of the raspberry mixture.

This year I modified the recipe so that I didn’t have to use commercial pectin. Instead I added 1 cup frozen currants to each batch. I made a double batch that yielded 10 half pint jars, 1 quarter-pint jar and a little more for the fridge. We’ll be enjoying that bit soon.

You can find my previous recipe using commercial pectin here.
Here’s this year’s version.

Raspberry Pepper Jam Print This Print This
5 cups raspberries
1 cup currants
4 cups sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3 seeded jalapenos
1 green bell pepper.

Chop jalapenos & green pepper in food processor. Do not inhale fumes.
Add all the ingredients to a pot. Bring to a boil and cook until it reaches the jelling point, about 1 hour. You can tell it’s reached this point, by putting a bit on a plate in the freezer. Run your finger through the puddle of jam, if the two side don’t flow back together, it’s ready. Meanwhile sterilize half-pint jars by boiling them in the canning pot for 10 minutes.

When the jam has reached the jelling point, ladle it into the hot jars, seal with new lids & rings and process in the boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.

Yield about 5 half-pint jars.

We enjoy it with crackers and cream cheese but haven’t found other uses for it. If you have suggestions, please let me know.

This entry was posted in canning, Food & Recipes, peppers, raspberries, recipes and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Raspberry Pepper Jam 2.0

I have a use for it! You can give me a jar or two!

This jam sounds so good. I love jellies and jams with peppers! I’m going to have to try this next year for sure!

Maybe you could make a cookie and put a little on the top. I saw a recipe for a cheddar cheese cookie. I think that I put it in my favorites or copied it. I will have to look for it.

FYI, you’re not linked in on Mr. Linky

Very interesting using the currents rather than the pectin. Is there a set ratio to use. I like the reduced sugar jams but not the way they look after a bit. I have never made the freezer jam which I understand takes less sugar but don’t have the freezer space.

Wish I could do more with hot peppers but I have to blanch them before I can even cut them.

I don’t think there is a set ratio. I got the idea from a few recipes on Seasonal Ontario Recipes. I’ve made this Cherry Currant Jam. She uses 1 quart currant to 2 quarts cherries. My ratio was much less with 1 cup currants to 1 quart raspberries and it still set. Currants seem to have plenty of pectin. When I’ve just done currant jelly, it almost seems ready to set before you heat up the juice!

Can you bring me a jar at Thanksgiving?

Beautiful and I bet the peppers add a nice kick to it. I like pepper jelly so I am sure I would enjoy this too. I think raspberry jam is so pretty all by itself but the color contrast of the green pepper puree and the red raspberries is really beautiful.