Harvest Monday: 8/29/11

At the beginning of the week I harvested my yellow onions. I’m pleased with the size of these. They’re bigger than last year’s onions from sets. They were outside in the sun for a day or two, then went into the attic to finish drying as rain was forecast. I’ll weigh them when they’re dry.

Here’s another harvest later in the week.

Also, I trimmed and weighed the garlic. It came to over 8 lbs. One bunch became a braid, the rest is set in ball jars like flowers.

Saturday I gathered up all the tomatoes with color in preparation for the tropical storm Irene.This brought this week’s tomato harvest to 14.5 lbs.

I also picked some dried beans that were looking ready, they are cannelloni. I also picked the popcorn. Both will be weighed after they dry. I was worried winds might blow the corn over and that all the rain would be detrimental to it’s drying. It had so-so pollination. Now it’s in the attic to dry. There’s also some tomatillos and peppers in the basket.

We did get 4 inches of rain from Irene, but not as much wind as predicted. Everything seems to have held up well. The chickens are happy to be back out in the run today instead of inside in the coop!

Harvests this week: 32.59 lbs
Harvests this year: 147.54 lbs

See how other gardeners made out with the storm and what they’ve harvested at Daphne’s Dandelions.

This entry was posted in corn, dried beans, garlic, greens, harvest, onions, summer squash, swiss chard, tomatillos, tomatoes. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Harvest Monday: 8/29/11

Your onions are a nice size much bigger than what I got. In fact we are almost done using our harvest of onions for the year. That was a lot of garlic, too.

2. Allison says:

I love your garlic bouquet!

The basket of tomatoes is beautiful! I don’t think that my popcorn pollinated very well either :( I really love your idea of putting the garlic in old canning jars. I think that I may have to steal your idea!

The onion harvest is excellent. I had a lousy onion year and will be leaning on my leeks to cover me until the bunching and salad onions are sized up enough for use that I planted mid summer. The harvest basket is full of lots of great pickings this week and glad to hear your garden held up well to Irene’s visit.

5. Bee Girl says:

Ditto to what Allison said…those over-turned garlic heads are fantastic! Also, is that a huge patty pan squash???

Pretty harvest. We only got 3″ of rain here. I expected more, but I’m happy we didn’t get any real damage.

7. miss m says:

So very envious of your onions and garlic. I should have another go at them despite the leek moth in my area. Will just have to use nets is all.

Beautiful harvest !