Harvest Monday 8/22/11

Last week we were in vacation in Maine. It was lovely. I’m sure I’ll have more photos to share later in the week once I’ve gone through the 700 some I took. Here’s one from the first night.

Before we left, I picked these last few thing to take along, including any zucchini & patty pan that had developed at all.

We returned to very large zucchinis and cucumbers, and tomatoes bursting because of 2 inches of rain. Here’s the same basket as above, now with very large cucumbers, zucchini and patty pan.

The rest of the harvest upon returning included more tomatoes. The split sungolds went to the chickens. They’ll also probably get the monstrous cucumber in the picture above. We used most of the tomatoes to make our summertime tomato sauce. I think stuffed zucchini needs to be on the menu plan for this week to use these up.

Then Sunday I harvested the makings of some green tomatillo salsa.

This week I’m looking forward to getting back into the garden, and keeping the cucumbers and zucchini to a more manageable size.
Total this week: 21.9 lbs
Total this year: 114.9 lbs
See other gardeners’ harvests at Daphnes’ Dandelions.

This entry was posted in cucumbers, Garden, green beans, harvest, onions, peppers, summer squash, tomatillos, tomatoes, vacation. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Harvest Monday 8/22/11

1. Ali says:

Maine! I hope you had a lovely week here in my beautiful state! The first photo is beautiful!

2. Allison says:

Lovely looking harvest! I have never been to Maine but would love to go; I am looking forward to seeing more pictures!

Glad you had a good time in Maine. Didn’t realize you were going also. Knew Mom and Dad were stopping to see you. Don’t you just love when the zucchini and cucumbers get away from you. I just grated a couple of zucchini that way and froze it for zucchini bread this winter. Also have a couple of good recipes for large and especially ripe cucumbers.

Welcome back from your travels! It’s always hard to leave the garden for long in the summer harvest season but it looks like you garden and crops did fine in your absence.

5. Bee Girl says:

Yay for tomatillos (and a great harvest)!!!

6. Nice harvest!! I’m bummed. My summer squash did not have a good year. I think I got one squash. I really wanted some patty pans. Yours are beautiful!

What a beautiful picture of Maine! I just love that state! Can’t wait to see more pics from your vacation!

Your harvests look good too! I so love those Patty Pan squash. They are so cute!

8. Barbie says:

Beautiful. Hope you had a wonderful time. Your plants certainly missed you!

9. Gregg Lewis says:

Looking forward to more pictures . . .

I came home to a monster zucchini too. I don’t think I’ve ever let one get away quite as much. I pointed it out to my helper and said that will probably need to be picked soon. But she didn’t pick any zukes.

11. Echoing what Bee Girl said: Yay for tomatillos!! Looks like you had a great week. i hope that your vacation went well!

Looking forward to seeing more of those pictures!