One of my good friends and college roommates got married this weekend. I was ahead of the game and finished this quilt in May and even showed the wall hanging I made with the scraps. Now I get to share the actual quilt with you.
For some reason I decided that a quilt with batiks would be a good fit for Darlene & David. I hope they agree. The locally owned fabric store had some amazing batiks this winter but they weren’t lasting long. So I bought them when they were available and went to work. All the fabrics are botanical prints. I choose 4 warm colors and 5 cool colors.
I based my design on this quilt at Film in the Fridge, except that I was trying to make them the right size to fit a template I had to square them up. I ended up laying it out with double border around the edges when I was calculating it in Excel. I realized my error, but decided to stick with the proportions I had. So my squares are different than the ones in her tutorial, but based on the same idea.
Each block is composed of two squares and one rectangle, separated by white sashing. I decided the best way to distribute the colors would be to make one side of each block warm or cool. So the two squares are from the same temperature, and the rectangle is opposite.
I hand quilted it. Rather than go around each set of rectangle and two squares, I decided to quilt a larger square around the places where the four squares meet from adjacent blocks. This forms a diagonal step pattern of these larger quilted squares.
If you can’t tell from all the photos in this post, I think this is one my favorite quilts I’ve made. It’s hard to let this one go. But I know Darlene and David will enjoy it. I think the colors came out very striking. So just one more photo of it.