Last week I finally finished our queen sized quilt for our bedroom. I started this quilt in February, making over 130 squares. I called it the window stripes quilt because I thought of each white border like a window, with the three stripes inside. I planned to make it a summer quilt for us. All the blues and greens came from fabrics I already had. I had to buy a few more purples to have enough variety to match the variety of the other fabrics.
Originally I planned to lay them out in columns and rows.
But I found that I liked the diagonal layout better. Here’s where I was at the end of February, with all the squares laid out on the floor so I could stack them up and sew them into strips.
By mid-March I had pieced together the whole top. I again brought it down to floor to lay it out. I basted it together and started hand quilting.
However, the project got set aside for a bit. Earlier this month I had some more time and got back to quilting it. It was supposed to be a summer quilt for us and summer was here! I wanted it finished. I hand-quilted a square around each of the sets of three stripes.
In the green triangles along the edge, I quilted a continuous vine.
Two weeks ago I finished quilting it and last week I got the binding on. The binding is a coal grey. Now it’s on our bed. I love having the bright colors in there with our green walls.
This is the largest quilt I’ve made so far and I’m very happy with it. It measures 86″ by 93″. It’s hard to get a photo of the whole thing.
Photos of half of it at at time will have to do.
The back is the same green dotted fabric that is used for the outer border on the front. It has a vertical stripe of the window stripe squares. The stripe helps you know which way the quilt goes. It also helps us know if we have it evenly spaced across the bed. I’ve a bad habit of pulling the covers.
I’m glad to have completed another quilt. Now on to the next unfinished one!