Planting Warm Weather Crops

This week I planted many of my warm weather crop. Like the chicks, it was time for them to move outside.

The rest of my tomatoes went in. Seven tomatoes went in on May 1st with walls of water. 18 went in on May 23rd. We also strung the twine to the frame and started twisting the early seven tomatoes. The walls of water were moved to the eggplants I put in on the 24th.

Here’s my complete list of tomatoes: Sungold Cherry, Green Zebra, Purple Calabash (3), Cherokee Purple, Cosmonaut Volkov (2), Mark Twain, Black Prince (2), Pink Accordion (2), Striped Roman (2), Amish Paste (5), Pink Brandywine, Rose de Berne, Market Miracle, Gardener’s Delight Cherry. The Sungold and one of the early Black Princes are already blooming.

In the bed where I’d transplanted my artichokes, I planted Tomatillos,

Eggplants(Black Beauty, Little Finger, & Long Purple). There weren’t quite enough walls of water to go around all the eggplant so this largest one was left out.

And Peppers (Carmen (5), Jimmy Nardello (6), Cubanelle (1) & Chocolate Sweet Peppers(6), Paprika Spice Peppers (3), Jalapeno (5), and Mixed Hot Peppers (6)). I left a bit of room at the end for my basil seedlings when they get a little bigger. Here’s a few of the peppers.

In one of my squash rows, I planted Costata Romanesca Zucchini, Benning’s Green Patty Pan, Golden Yellow Zucchini, 2 hills of Delicata winter squash and Moon & Stars Watermelon and Minnesota Midget Melon under the hoop frame.

In the other squash row the cucumbers are in. The butternut and buttercup seeds I started had trouble with damping off, so I sowed more seeds where I wanted them.

In the third squash row, which is covered with newspaper & compost to kill the rye grass, I cut holes for two hills of pie pumpkins. Later today I added more soil (not in the picture). I guess it’s like a lasagna garden bed. I had the same problem with my Jarrahdales damping off, so I seeded those directly. Also one hill of Marina d Chioggia winters squash which is a new variety I’m trying.

Today I planted Trail of Tears Black Beans (from Daphne), Yard Long Beans, & Kentucky Wonder beans along the bean fence behind the Dakota Blue Corn.

I also seeded Cannalini White dried beans and Romano Green beans on either side of the peas and fava beans, both of which are bush varieties. Near the tomato frame, I planted Scarlet Runner beans since they did well climbing the twine last year and across the top of the frame.

Also this week I hilled the first potatoes (Irish Cobbler and Fingerling). The others have been slow to sprout and I had to re-plant the Adirondak Blue so they haven’t sprouted at all.

The garden rows are now full, with just room for the continual sowing of lettuce, carrots & beets.

I need to make sure I don’t stop looking at my seed starting calendar though because I extended it to tell me when to start things for fall crops. Looks like I should be seeding fall broccoli about now!

This entry was posted in corn, cucumbers, dried beans, eggplant, Garden, green beans, hoop house, peppers, planting, potatoes, pumpkins, squash, summer squash, tomatillos, tomatoes, winter squash. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Planting Warm Weather Crops

Okay – I see what you were doing all day today! I’ll bringing the walls o water so you can put one around that lone eggplant.

I have a bloom on one of my tomatoes today too – a goldie and blooms on one eggplant.

Everything looks so nice. How far apart do you plant your peppers. They seem very close. I still haven’t figured out the best spacing for them.

Daphne,

I think last year it I did two rows in the bed with them somewhere between 8 and 12 inches apart in the row . This year I had more to fit in so I staggered them. But I only eyeballed it, so I’ll have to go measure and let you know. We’ll see how it works.

So I went out and measured this year’s spacing. Most plants are 8 to 9 inches diagonally from another plant, they are about 8-12 inches from the one that is behind them. Last year, it was thick but they did produce when the flowers set.

3. Justin says:

Nice blog, I enjoy reading about another NH gardener as it drives me nuts to read about people in Zone 6+ just some 20 miles south of me.

Did you build the cucumber trellis yourself? Are those lines of string or is that metal wire in the trellis? Hard to tell but I would be interested in trying something like that myself if it saved space.

Justin

Thanks Justin. I’ll have to check out your site as well. I think reading blogs in MA makes me plant things a little earlier than I should sometimes. This year it was the potatoes. The blue ones just didn’t take the wet weather, the others did ok.

Yes we built the frame ourselves. Its just a square with nails around it. I have twine strung. In fact it’s last year’s twine and there are probably a few places that could be touched up. Alternatively the green wire 1 X 2″ would be good stapled on. If we hadn’t used that up in our chicken coop I’d probably switch to that. They are propped up on strapping with nails as the stops. An improvement here would be hinges so that we couldn’t accidently knock one of the props out. We even bought the hinges, but haven’t put them on. Here’s a post from last year that shows it closer up.

It must be a nice feeling to have the garden planted. Am hoping to at least till mine this weekend and start planting. With all the rain we have had not sure how warm the soil is for germinating. I know my potatoes that are planted in hay are taking their sweet time.
    Your peppers should do well that close together. An old farmer here always said that peppers were touchy feely plants and wanted to be close together.