Last Thursday was sunny, so I headed out to the garden to dig. I knew the next things to be planted would be my potatoes and onions, so I prepared the beds. I dug a trench for the potatoes and went to the neighbors to get rotted manure. As I drove over to fill my buckets the little boys met me. “Ooooo, You want stinky manure?” they queried when I told them why I was there. Even so, they followed me to the pile to see what I was up to and chatted away.The manure went at the bottom of the trench and on the onion bed.On the onion row (Row 3), I turned the manure under with the rye grass planted as a cover crop. However, the weather forecast for Saturday called for high winds and cold temperatures so I decided to wait on planting anything. Preparing each row is going so much faster this year than last when I was digging the paths and removing so many weeds!
Sunday came and brought the sun again. So I went out to plant the potatoes. Last year I bought 10 lbs of Yukon Gold potatoes and planted one row. Some friends gave me other potatoes, and I found room for them in other spots. This year I ordered a wider variety of potatoes: Romanze- a red skinned storage potato, Adirondack Blue, Irish Cobbler- an early potato we enjoyed last year, and French Fingerling potatoes. The total weight came to 11.5 lbs but I figured I could squeeze it all into one row.
When I went to lay them out in the trench, I found that just the Romanze and the Adirondack Blue filled the whole row (Row 1), even with closer than recommended spacing. So I had to come back inside and consult my spreadsheet to see where I could fit in another 3.5 lbs of potatoes. I decided to put them in the area I have set aside for Fall broccoli and kale, which is the second half of the row planted with garlic (Row 6). Both the fingerling and Irish Cobbler varieties are early so hopefully I’ll have them harvested before it is time to transplant the seedlings.
I wasn’t quite ready to go through all the work of planting my tiny onions, so I decided to get some hardy greens in the ground. These have been hardening off on the front porch for a week and I figure they can take the freezing temperatures that are still coming a couple nights a week.
In the remaining few feet left in the bed with the Irish cobbler and fingerling potatoes I planted pink mixed mustard greens and two rows of bok choy.
In the brassica row, I planted three kinds of kale: rainbow lacinato, lacinato, and red kale. I also planted red and green acre cabbages.
I rolled up the cover on the hoop house so I could show you the very healthy red kale plant that survived the winter. There is also some healthy looking lettuce. Too bad I don’t remember what variety I planted there. There are a few experimental radicchio as well. You can click to see a larger photo.
Development in the cold frame is coming along slowly. I haven’t seen much change in the size of the greens I planted out over two weeks ago. The sun has been lacking lately and they could use some sunny days to get them going.
That’s all the update I have for now. I’m sure I’ll be back out in the garden later this week, though I need to work on the flower beds in the front as well.