Farfalle Wedding Quilt

A good friend from college got married in April, just as we were moving to our new house and so we weren’t able to attend the wedding. I knew I wanted to make her a wedding quilt but it took a while to get settled before I was able to. This quilt was mostly made in the month of August, however it took me a little while to get it in the mail to the recipient so it is only showing its face here on the blog now that I know it is in her hands.

I got the idea from Ashley at Film in the Fridge and you can see her version of this quilt here. She calls it Flying Farfalle after the pasta shape.

Basically I sewed strips on the corners of white squares. I had three color piles: blue, green, and red/purple. To make sure I had variety, I sewed from one color pile onto the corners of one third of the squares. Then I divided the squares up again evenly and sewed blue, green, or red/purple on the other side. I laid out the squares at random, just moving things around so no two same pattern triangles touched.
I made a stripe down the back with the fabrics I used for the colored corners on the front.I machine quilted for the first time, and you can see my diagonal lines aren’t in the least bit straight, but I think it goes with the funky angles of the bow-ties on the front of the quilt.
I bound it with the green paisley you see next to the colored blocks. It is a lap quilt and measures 47″ x 70″. I like the design a lot and may even make a queen size for our bed someday.

This entry was posted in quilts, sewing. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Farfalle Wedding Quilt

1. meemsnyc says:

Wow, what a gorgeous quilt. My husband gave me a sewing machine for Christmas and one of the things I want to learn is how to quilt. How did you learn? Do you know of any good online resources?

Nice to see it finished. What did Abby think of it?

3. Annie's Granny says:

Emily, that is beautiful! It's a gift she should cherish for life, and pass down to her descendants.

That must take a lot of time to complete. I've always thought about making a quilt, but never wanted to put in the time to do it.

5. Emily says:

Thanks for all the compliments.

mmemsync, I just started sewing. There are books out there that help and give ideas, or specific techniques, but usually I end up making it up as I go along. It just takes practice. Right now I'm working on another made of jeans and corduroy. Its no where close to my original plan but I keep changing ideas based on how things look. I'll share it in November after that wedding.

6. Annie's Granny says:

"I'm working on another made of jeans and corduroy"

I hope it's shades of green corduroy. Then it truly would be "greens & jeans" ;-)

7. Emily says:

Good one Annie's Granny :)

Well the quilt is close to what you describe. The corduroy is blue and gray. I did buy green for the back :)

I named my blog 'greens and jeans' because it was to be about gardening (greens) and I liked to craft out of jeans. There hasn't been as much jeans as I thought there'd be, but plenty of other crafts :)

8. mac says:

Gorgeous quilt, what a thoughtful gift, the bride would cherish it forever.

9. foodgardenkitchen says:

What a nice piece of handwork and a wonderful gift!