Mini Sweater Ornament Pattern

After making mini mitten ornaments to go with our gifts to family last year, I decided I wanted to make something else this year. So I designed my own pattern for mini sweater ornaments with cables and two color designs. So far I’ve made 6 of them and I’m aiming to make more. In the mean time I decided to write up the pattern and publish it.

The pattern uses size 1 or 2 needles and fingerling weight yarn. It has three styles:
A basic sweater (good for using up variegated sock yarn),
A two-stranded color work variation,
And a cable pattern variation.
Once you make a few you’ll find there are endless variations on the basic pattern. I’m looking forward to experimenting with stripes and with other two color patterns. If you use my pattern, I’d love to see how yours come out. I’ve made it available through Google Docs, and it can be downloaded as a PDF. You can find the Mini Sweater Ornament pattern here.

This entry was posted in knitting, patterns, sweater. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Mini Sweater Ornament Pattern

1. Deborah says:

Thank you for such a cute pattern. I have a feeling these can be addicting once you get started.

2. Kay-From the Back Yard says:

These are just darling! Thank you!

3. miss m (InfG) says:

OMG, they're soooo cute ! I can't take it.
    They're just a-do-ra-ble !
    Thx for the pattern (nice job there too)

They are cute Emily. I wonder if I'll get one.

I saw something similar in the Hallmark Store window today. Didn't price them though.

5. Knittymuggins says:

Saw these on Ravelry :) They're super cute – thanks so much for sharing!

knittymuggins

6. Tasha says:

Here are more mini-patterns. They have more than just sweaters – there's a link to the other patterns.

So Cute!

7. Emily says:

Thanks Tasha,

I'd seen some of the berroco minutia patterns from last year, but I didn't like the fact that you had to knit them in pieces and then sew them together.

But it is good to see other design ideas.

8. Angie says:

Oh this is perfect! I found a pattern in the Weekend Knitting book but did not like it (my sleeves ended up being off center and so I could not seam it up right) but I like your pattern much better. This will be the perfect addition to gifts. Thank you so much for the pattern!

9. Jen says:

Beautiful pattern! Thanks for posting it. Quick question- on the raglan increases, second row, you state one should purl the purled rows and knit the knitted ones. When you K1FB, this leaves a knitted and then purled stitch left to right. Should I treat them this way on the next row? Thanks for any advice to a confounded knitter!

10. Emily says:

Jen,

When you do the K1F&B, and then the next round you come to those stitches, knit them both. With the comment about knitting and purling, I meant that you would purl the sts that set off cable in the center of the front and back. All the other sts are knit.

I hope this helps.

Emily

11. Jen says:

I ripped out what I had done (I always seem to spend more time "learning" from my mistakes than knitting to completion), and restarted the pattern. I got through the raglan increases and it looks just like the picture. Thanks so much for your help, Emily!

12. Susan says:

These are so cute! I am going to make them this weekend… I plan to make one for each of the ladies at my weekly knit night (holiday party in December). Can't wait! I will be sure to send you the final photos! :)

13. Joyce says:

These are so cute. I am the world's slowest knitter but now I can make a sweater in time for Christmas !! For everyone !! Such fun! Mine came out great !! Thanks !!

14. Stch says:

I love this pattern, I will be posting photos and how I modified the pattern on Ravelry in the next couple of weekends. This little sweater adapts very well i hope you enjoy what I created..

15. Stch says:

To say I love this patterns would be an understatement.

I figured out how to make it on a small sock circular and Wa La and open cardigan with Raglan Sleeves
    The Green with white was the result.

The heather with the Mini Cable the latest..

Here is a link to the page please leave a comment I would love to hear what you think.

16. Cheryl says:

Hi,
    I just finished one in red.
    Looks lovely.
    Thanks for the pattern.

17. Pingback: A little of this, a little of that… | JumbleOfWonderful.com

18. Pingback: Ready or not, the holidays are here | Yarn Soup

19. Katherine says:

I am confused on the body. It says to knit to the first marker. But this is half of the sleeve sts.
    Then it says to remove sts and put on waste yarn then remove 2nd marker, Then knit back sts. To me this is the front sts.

If I was to knit to the 2nd marker and put these sts on waste yarn remove 3rd marker and knit back sts. this would be correct.

Did I miss something in directions, was I suppose to stop at last marker and slip these sts on waste yarn. But then these would be the front sts. Please help.

Katherine,

I’m sorry for the confusion. It should read “On the next round, K to the second marker, remove marker and slip sleeve sts on to waste yarn or a spare needle. Remove the third marker, then knit the back sts. Remove the 4th marker and place sleeve sts on waste yarn, then keep 1st marker in place to mark the beginning of your round from here on. Redistribute the body sts on the three needles.”
      I hope this helps. I’ll try to update the pattern online later today.

Emily

20. Bernie Bezar says:

Thanks for sharing these wee cuties.
    I am going to make some into a bunting for the wall of my home office, spelling out the name of my business. Thanks again.

21. Pingback: tiny sweaters « Handmade Homeschool

22. Pingback: 20 Free Knitting Patterns for Advanced Knitters

23. Pingback: I just need to catch my breath | Toxophily

24. Pingback: Christmas Projects – Part 1 – Ornaments | Serendipity: Life is a Garden

25. Kathleen says:

Love this pattern – I’ve finished the body of my 1st and can’t wait to complete the sleeves.